Sunday, July 23, 2006

I've got a disease...

I believe that it is called bookstoritis. You've probably never heard it's clinical name before, so I'll elaborate on the symptoms. Upon entering a bookstore you receive a warm and tingling feeling inside, I'll liken it to a high that one would get from a drug... or at least, I'd assume that's what it's like. The next stage is termed browsing. One suffering from bookstoritis will wander, seemingly aimless at times, and his/her arms will slowly accumulate books, books that before entering would not have been in their minds to buy. Slowly the victim realizes that there is no way that they can afford all of these books and therefore sets many of them back, hoping that they will come back at a later date to buy them. Of course reality dictates that many of these books will never be bought by the diseased creature and likely never seen again. (Rare occurrences allot for exceptions). Finally they leave with many a new book in hand.

Other symptoms include: Being drawn to bookstores if in a nearby vicinity, depending upon the person, this can be miles away; Buying more books than you have time to read; Extreme weightloss as dictated by your bank account's lack of food purchasing power.

As you can tell I walked into a bookstore planning to buy nothing today... things don't always go as planned.

Fables: Arabian Nights (and Days) - Bill Willingham: Simply put, the best comic series that I have ever read. This is the first time that they have carried any of the Fables series at any of the bookstores up here. Needless to say, I had to get it.

On Bullshit - Harry G. Frankfurt: I had heard this book mentioned before but I still can't place where. It was written by a moral philosopher from Princeton and clocks in at about 60 pages. It was small and I was intrigued, throw it in the bag...

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince- J.K. Rowling: Now hold up. I know what you're saying. "Dan doesn't this go against everything that you've ever stood for?", "Why (*sobbing uncontrollably*)", Not to mention the shock and fainting due to extreme disappointment and/or joygasms. Now we get to the justification part... or as I like to call it "The Laugh Zone". What? Conan copyrighted laugh zone? Dang. Take two... or as I like to call it "Fun With Word Manipulation". As many of you know I was planning on reading this series, however you also know that I wanted to wait until the hype/craze/hullaballoo died down to do so. Well, when I saw this book in the store on the bargain rack with a 75% off sticker on it, I thought maybe it finally all died down... I should still wait a while anyways. Then I realized that it was the full color, hardcover, collectors edition. And that 75% off meant that it was now $15. Well that I couldn't resist. So the long and short is that I now have to find the previous five and catch up.

Currently Reading... Fables: Arabian Nights (and Days) - Bill Willingham
The Cost of Discipleship - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Currently Listening to... Penny on the Train Track - Ben Kweller (mp3)

P.S. Spellcheck wants to change Conan to Cowman... giggle
P.P.S. I'll try to get back on the ball with the blogging, it's been a little while.

1 Comments:

Blogger CallOfTheJourney said...

I suffer from the same disease man, books are like an addiction. Mmm, the smell of the pages, the feel of the cover...it's just too much to resist.

What's up with the transition to "trade size" paperbacks, though? They're such an awkward size, and they cost more. I'd rather they kept producing normal paperbacks, even if they were going to raise the price of those further. If I'm going to have to pay more for books, I should at least be able to get the size/shape I want, right?

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home