Sunday, July 09, 2006

Look Not on Our Sins...

In the catholic church there is a part during mass in which the priest says "Look not on our sins but on the faith of your church". I have always loved this verse. That is what all of us believers would hope for; that God in his mercy would look past our sins to our faith. However, this is also what scares me. The faith of the church is not strong. I wish I could say otherwise, but I cannot. Too many people simply go through the motions. It saddens me. My prayer is that we would become a church of faith above and beyond, and I was extremely pleased to hear this in our homily today. Our gospel message today was from when Jesus was beginning his ministry and was invited back to Nazareth. He preached and the people were astounded by what he was saying, but when they realized that it was the Jesus of Mary and Joseph that grew up around them they quickly lost faith in what he was saying. They thought this is just one of us, how can he make any difference? I think that we have this same problem today. It takes such an incredible act to shake us, to make us pay attention, to make us care. It shouldn't.

Currently Listening to... Regina Spektor - Fidelity
Currently Reading... Kings in Disguise - Vance and Burr
The Cost of Discipleship - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home