Monday, February 19, 2007

A whole mess of stuff

Drats! I’ve been found out!

The neighbor’s open internet connection is now password protected. I guess it had to happen eventually, but I figured it may not, because I am not downloading mass amounts of things through their connection, the home landline is much better for those purposes even if it’s almost always in use by someone else.

I’ve found that my amp makes a great single speaker for my room, plug in the laptop and crank out the tunes!

Dear Miller Light truly you are a tasty cheap beer, no PBR, but tasty nonetheless.

So many things to blog about, where to start?

My birthday came around about nine days ago. Rachel was in town. It was a great weekend, and what really made it incredible was a trip to Lula’s for dinner and a visit to my new favorite bookstore afterwards. Lula Café played host to what I believe to be the greatest dinner I’ve had in my life. It was a real restaurant, with emphasis on presentation. I’d really never experienced anything quite like it. All of the food came from local sources, which made it doubly cool. Not to mention that I do not think that anything as delicious as this has ever crossed my lips before. After dinner we were off to Quimby’s. Now let me tell you what, I love that place. With a selection of comics the likes of which I’ve never seen in my life and collections upon collections of diy zines, how could it not be? I honestly spent more time trying to comprehend everything that I was seeing, then looking at everything that I was seeing. Next time I will remedy this. I highly recommend it to any and everyone who visits the good city.

As you know from the previous post, I then took an impromptu visit to Grand Rapids with the lady. It was a good, fairly uneventful trip. And in a stark contrast to how I normally operate, it was exactly what I needed.

Last night I went to Brazzaz, a Brazilian steakhouse downtown with Matt, Chester, Ben, Christy, Joel, and Amy, (I believe that I remembered his wife’s name correctly). It was all you can eat and did we ever. These people just walked around with these skewers of the greatest steak, chicken, lamb, etc. and cut you off some. I had to have eaten minimum two to three lbs of meat. It’s was crazy and I was crazy full upon leaving. The best steaks of my life. Matt and Chester picked up my tab as a birthday gift, thanks guys!

Rachel gave me a new messenger bag for my birthday; something that I was in desperate need of. Thanks babe!

I’m incredibly psyched for 24 tonight!

I’ve been on a reading mini-binge as of late. It has been so refreshing. Since I last blogged I have finished World War Z. Started and finished Mudhouse Sabbath by Lauren Winner, (more to come on that one). Started and finished Carnet de Voyage by Craig Thompson, which was his sketchbook/journal from his time in Europe in promotion of his outstanding graphic novel Blankets. I loved getting a glimpse in to his life, thoughts, muses, the sites he saw, and the interactions with both locals and fans and friends both old and new. Back to Mudhouse. I need to reread it. I loved it. It tells the tale of Lauren’s desire to find out how she may incorporate many of the practices of her Jewish upbringing with her newfound Christianity. I will try to write more in depth on the actual substance of the book at a later time.

Currently Listening to… All things Sufjan Stevens
Ted Leo and the Pharmacists – Living With the Living
(here's a little taste from a song off it performed live by the man himself)

Modest Mouse – We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank (if you haven't heard the first single stream it from the link)

Currently Reading… Project: Romantic – An anthology dedicated to love and love stuff
Girl Meets God – Lauren Winner
Box Office Poison – Alex Robinson

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home