Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Back to Life, Back to Reality

Well, I'm back from a much enjoyed extended vacation. I really wish that I could take trips like that more often, but they are way to rough on the non-existent bankroll. So, they will have to continue to be infrequent.

The Faith and Music Festival at Calvin was a blast. In particular, the Sufjan concert was ridiculous. He ended up playing for a little over two hours, and cutting into the time that was supposed to be for the second show. It was great. We were fairly far back in the balcony, but the sound was great and so was the view so I really have no complaints. I also really enjoyed the talk that he gave the next day though I am too scatterbrained at the moment to recap it.

The other highlight from the festival was the showing of Danielson: A Family Movie.

I was an incredible documentary and both extremely enjoyable and inspiring. After watching it, all I wanted to do was find my guitar and start making music. The question and answer session with Daniel the next day was great as well, as he was completely open and honest and real. It was great to hear about how he does his craft and I don't even know what else to say other than that I loved it.

The other thing that I enjoyed was the talk that David Dark gave. I picked up his book, Everyday Apocalypse, because I enjoyed it so much. I loved the way that he used modern pop cultural sayings and lyrics to express things and how he dove into them, very enjoyable.

Here's what I came away with. I really want to try my hand at songwriting. It was a really inspiring weekend in that regard. Here's the other thing, I have no idea what I'm doing. So, I guess we'll just see if I can shake the embarrassment of simply assuming that anything I throw together will suck and just throw together something that sucks so that I can throw together other things that suck less.

Currently Reading... Eve's Revenge
Currently Listening to... Belle and Sebastian - Step Into My Office, Baby

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home