Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Working World

Well, I broke down. I'm now working a temp job. They like to think of it as something that is parlayed into a career, i.e. it goes perm after 3 months. I like to think that it's a stopgap to earn a few bucks. Of course I can't rightly tell them that. Why don't I feel bad about strictly using this as a temp job when it is clear that they are looking for something more than that? I think that it's because have no reason to. They benefit from me because I'm damn good at what I do, and I benefit from them because I'm making a few dollars. If they want me to stay, and I enjoy it there, I'm sure that they can find a way to make that happen. And if they aren't willing to do that, then I don't want to be working there anyways. That's my thoughts on that.

Now it's really too early to make a call on this job, as I've only had it for two weeks now, but I will say that there is one thing that I hate about it. Brace yourself... "Casual Friday". Now if there is something that chills me to the core about this job, it's that. I know what you're thinking. That's it? That's his big complaint? Yes, yes it is. But it goes so much deeper than that, or at least I like to think that it does. "Casual Friday", it's one of those gimmicks that companies like to use because they think that it boosts morale. How could it possibly do that? And if it actually does, why isn't that your dress code to begin with if your workers work better and more productively under those conditions. It's one of those things that has never made sense to me. Also, I feel like a massive tool working at a place that has "Casual Fridays". Don't ask me why, because I'm not entirely sure.

Next issue, the work seems like it's going to be pretty mindless. That's how it seems to me so far. There are certain things that you just memorize and do over and over and over again. Now during the training period that we've had so far, it ends halfway through this week, the instructors like to make it seem as though we will be having to use all these calculations and different things, but here's the deal. All these calculations are done once, because you're only working with one school. So you have all of your abbreviated formulas that you plug one number into and you get your answer. I feel like even though they require their workers to have a college degree, I could be doing all of this with the knowledge that I gained from high school alone. Not only that but in the classes that we have they give us all these problems to work through and I'll finish the problem in ten minutes max and sit around waiting twenty minutes for everyone else to figure it out. And not only that but when I check my answer with the instructors, (one in particular at least), what usually happens is that she says, "I think that your answer is right but now I have to recalculate mine because I think I did it wrong". You're an instructor, your student who is brand new to this shouldn't be able to do it better than you after a weeks worth of powerpoints.

Outside of the job things are slow. I don't do anything. I come home watch some television sit around and go to sleep. Shower, rinse, and repeat. I don't feel particularly proud of myself right now. I'm sure that I'll get out of the rut though.

The more and more I work, the more and more I just want to say screw it and go to grad school for either an MBA or a doctorate in economics. If I had to guess right now, I would say that by this time next year I'll be doing one of those two things.

Currently Listening to... The Lawrence Arms - Oh! Calcutta!
Currently Reading... Eve's Revenge - Lillian Calles Barger
The Benedictine Handbook

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan: It's amazing how many men have read my book. That's a good thing. Check out my new one Chasing Sophia. I hope you are finding Eve's Revenge interesting.

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home