Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Stalling....

Ahh... nothing like updating the blog a bit to stall from doing all of the papers that I need to write. Really all I wanted was to share a line from the book, "The Life of Pi". I don't know why I've had this line in my head but it's been there for the last two days so I'm putting it here in hopes that it will leave... I'll set the scene for you really quick here. Pi is a child that has joined the Hindu, Christian, and Muslim religions, and at the zoo all of church leaders find him at the same time and argue over how great of a pupil of theirs he is. Realizing that Pi has been attending all these services the church leaders turn to Pi to tell him to choose what he believes...

The pandit spoke first. "Mr. Patel, Piscine's piety is admirable. In these troubled times it's good to see a boy so keen on God. We all agree on that." The imam and the priest nodded. "But he can't be a Hindu, a Christian, and a Muslim. It's impossible. He must choose."

"I don't think it's a crime, but I suppose you're right," Father replied.

The three murmured agreement and looked heavenward, as did Father, whence they felt the decision must come. Mother looked at me.

A silence fell heavily on my shoulders.

"Hmmm, Piscine?" Mother nudged me. "How do you feel about the question?"

"Bapu Gandhi said, 'All religions are true.' I just want to love God," I blurted out, and looked down, red in the face.


Now ignoring the obvious blasphemy of the 'All religions are true' statement, my heart just breaks for the kid. I would hope and pray that anyone who's answer to a question of religion that answered "I just want to love God," would find him. Anyone that strives to know God like that should find him and I know that I shouldn't be concerned about things like that because that desperate kind of love will find God, won't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home