Friday, May 25, 2007

Leaning on This Broken Fence...

So I've had this Weakerthans song stuck in my head for the past week... It just won't leave. I guess the bonus is that the song is really good.

It's about time that I started to read all of the books that I have been accumulating. Which means that I'm just starting David Dark's Everyday Apocalypse. I've also hit up the comics of late, reading the individual issues of Fables that are out so far, (Patrick has them), and I've just recently picked up and read the first two trades of 100 Bullets. Fables is, has been, and will forever be amazing. 100 Bullets took a little time to get into for me. The first trade moved slowly, a decent enough set of stories, but it wasn't until the end of the first trade that you could start to see something cohesive. Needless to say I was skeptical going into the second trade. The second blew me away. I still have very little idea what is going on, but links are showing, an idea of what characters will not simply be one shot deals is coming to mind, and what is actually going on is rapidly unraveling. I have no idea what is happening but I am definitely enjoying the trip.

In other news I finally get out to some concerts, huzzah! The first of which was a show with Cursive, Against Me!, and Mastodon. Cursive blew me away. When they first took the stage I realized that the cellist was conspicuously absent... and that got me entirely too nervous. How would they play anything off of The Ugly Organ? I guess replacing the cello with a couple of horns does the trick because it was amazingly tight. Against Me! came out next and immediately got into the stomp of Pints of Guinness, and if you ask me there isn't a better opener. They stopped playing an hour later... no literally... they played straight through the entire set uninterrupted save when Tom decided that during the intro of the next song he'd thank the other bands. The only phrase that I've been able to come up with that aptly describes what I witnessed was "sonic juggernaut". Take it as you will. And Mastodon... well I'm not a huge metalhead but they were good enough, not too mention that their guitarist was sporting quite the faux-hawk into mullet. Next on the docket was a show down at the KC hall with the loved ones. Their lead singer was on his game with witty banter being the currency of the night. The one thing that still shocks me is how short he was... I mean, I would be surprised if he cracked the five foot barrier. Definitely well worth the price of admission. The last concert I saw was down at the Abbey Pub last weekend. The headliner was Sundowner, but each one of the three openers put on a great show. Smoke or Fire had a fairly gritty punk sound and absolutely killed the set. Next came The Forecast, out of good ole' Peoria, and what I can't figure out is why they don't play more shows out in the city. The crowd was really into them and they put on a great show... although I will say their chick bass player / vocalist kinda looked like a dude at first. Just an observation. Limbeck played a... I don't want to say country, but definitely a heavily country influenced pop-rock set. I thoroughly enjoyed them. Finally Sundowner played and a great time was had by all. (Sundowner is Chris from The Lawrence Arms acoustic side project). He definitely has a sound that is way too enjoyable for me to listen too these days.

I was looking around today while being frustrated with the bluetooth functionality of my Verizon Razr phone and I finally found out the hack that I would have to use to re-enable everything that they disabled. Now if I can do it the legal way through Verizon and it isn't too expensive, maybe I'll just do it that way. Not to mention the fact that if I mess up in the seed editing, my phone may no longer work. From what I hear it is fairly easy to accomplish though. Decisions, decisions.

This weekend I'm heading out to Mammoth Cave National Park. I'm pumped.

Currently Reading - David Dark - Everyday Apocalypse

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home